Consultation on Secure Local Jobs Package
On 2 August 2018, the Minister for Workplace Safety and Industrial Relations introduced the Government Procurement (Secure Local Jobs) Amendment Bill 2018 into the Legislative Assembly. It can be accessed at www.legislation.act.gov.au/b/db_58718/default.asp .
The Amendment Bill allows for the making of the Secure Local Jobs Code, a key component of the ACT Government’s Secure Local Jobs Package. The Secure Local Jobs Package establishes an integrated suite of measures directed at ensuring the ACT Government only awards contracts to businesses that meet the highest ethical and labour standards.
The package is intended to drive higher standards and ensure that there is a level playing field for businesses that abide by their industrial relations and employment obligations and ensure that competitors do not benefit from avoiding their legal obligations.
Under the proposed new arrangements, the
- Government Procurement (Secure Local Jobs) Amendment Bill would:
- define the types of contract that would be subject to the new arrangements;
- establish a certification scheme for tenderers/contractors, called the Secure Local Jobs Certificate;
- set new rules for the procurement and management of Government contracts, including a requirement for certain tenders/contractors to have a Secure Local Jobs Certificate and to submit a Labour Relations, Training and Workplace Equity Plan;
- set up Government infrastructure to manage the Secure Local Jobs arrangements, including complaint handling, investigation and appeal mechanisms.
- the draft Secure Local Jobs Code would:
- set out the new obligations that would apply to tenderers/contractors in detail;
- provide more information about how to obtain a Secure Local Jobs Code Certificate;
- the draft Regulation would:
- provide more detail about what should be included in a Labour Relations, Training and Workplace Equity Plan; and
- clarify the types of contract that would not be covered by the new arrangements.
To assist in achieving the objectives of the Code, consultation model contract terms and conditions have been drafted.
The ACT Government is seeking feedback on its consultation draft of the Government Procurement (Secure Local Jobs) Amendment Regulation 2018, the consultation draft of the Secure Local Jobs Code and the consultation draft model contract terms and conditions.
We encourage individual workers, Unions and industry organisations to comment and provide input. Your contribution will help to inform ACT procurement processes and play an important role in creating better jobs for the community.
The ACT Government is committed to working with industry and the broader community to ensure there are proper legislative controls in place to protect workers across the ACT from unsafe work practices.
How to have your say
Written submissions on the drafts should be sent to WSIR@act.gov.au by close of business, 12 September 2018. Requests to meet with a Government official about the Code may be sent to the same email address.
Submissions made to the ACT Government regarding the draft Code will be published on the Procurement ACT website. Unless you expressly advise that your submission is made in confidence, it will be published on the website.